Sunday, January 27, 2008

Reading Renaissance - Day 1 (2008)

I was reading the newspaper (The Oregonian) and noticed a slew of articles about declining reading rates and the like. As I picked up the Metro section, I caught Steve Duin's piece about his 2007 Reading Contest. It was basically telling the results of the 2007 contest. I looked for the rules or a link to the 2008 contest because I need something like that to motivate me and to validate that reading is a valid life-choice, but NADA. Bupkis. Nothing.

I looked up The Oregonian and Steve Duin on the internet, but still only found the results from last year and years past...no rules or information for this year.

What I could see was that people counted the number of books they read, the number of pages and then wrote some kind of essay.

I decided to do it. Regardless of whether or not I find the rules for the one in the Oregonian, I am going to take on this challenge. I miss reading so much and I have been trying to do more of it. I'm very excited by the prospect, so I'm just gonna go for it. It may help with my Blog365 thing that I am doing on www.wildrumpusing.blogspot.com.

So my first book is: "Prayers for the Assassin" by Robert Ferrigno.

My list for 2008 includes the following books:

Inkheart
The Golden Compass (all The Dark Materials)
P.S. I Love You
Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille (wrote "The General's Daughter")
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (second read-through)
All Harry Potter books
The Diary of Anne Frank

No comments: